1. Change of our firm’s address
Our firm moved to the new location on September 28, 2009. Our firm’s new address is:
YOUNG-JIN BLDG, 3F(205), 1623-10
SEOCHO 1-DONG, SEOCHO-GU SEOUL 137-878, KOREA
Our firm’s telephone number(s) and fax number(s) have not changed. Any mail addressed to the old address of our firm will be automatically transferred to the new address for three (3) months after the date our firm moved.
2. Introduction of new patent attorneys
Patent Attorneys, Yang-Sub CHUNG, and Kwang-Ok KO, have joined as partners of our firm, KIM, HONG & ASSOCIATES, as of September 1, 2009. A brief personal history of each is as follows:
* Yang-Sub CHUNG
Academic & Office Career
- Graduated from Chosun University (Mechanical Engineering)
- Master at University of Southern California (U.S.C.)
- Worked for Korean Intellectual Property Office (KIPO) for 30 years
- President, Intellectual Property Tribunal(IPT), KIPO
- Presiding Judge of the IPT, KIPO
- Director General, Examination Bureau
- Trial Judge, Board of Trials, KIPO
- Examiner & Director, Exam. Div.(Electronics, Mechanics, Metals, Automotives), KIPO
- Counsellor, Permanent Mission of the Republic of Korea, Geneva
- Chairman of KIPO Operation Committee
- Korean Head Representative on the Diplomatic Conference of Patent Law Treaty
- Korean Representative on various international conferences by WIPO & WTO
- Member of Patent Attorney Credentials Committee
- Professor, Patent Law Graduate School, Chungnam University
- Worked for Kia Motors Company
Literary Works & Thesis
- Interpretation of Patent Law, Patent Trials, Guides on Patent Precedents
- Handbook on Industrial Property Information
- The World of Invention and Patent
- Computerization of Industrial Property Administration,+ etc
- Award of the "Mark of Honor"
- Award of "Best Patent Person"
* Kwang-Ok KO(Sr. Patent Attorney/Partner)
Academic - Graduated Busan National University(B.A. of Mechanical Engineering in Korea.1981) - Graduated Washinton University School of Law in Saint Lovis(Master of Law, U.S.A) Professional Career - Passed Technical Service Examination (1983) - Served at Korean National Railroad Administration for 5 years (1984 ~ 1989) - Served at KIPO(Korean Intellectual Property Office) for 12 years (1989 ~ 2001) - Examiner for General Machinery & Robot Division - Head of Air Conditioning Machinery Examination Division - Head of Precision Machinery Examination Division - Head of Automobile Examination Division - Judge at Korean Industrial Property Tribunal - Technical Hearing Judge at Patent Court of Korea
3. Guidance of the preferential examination system which began September 1, 2009
The preferential examination system has been revised to more clearly present the requirements for requesting preferential examination (effective from September 1, 2009).
Background of the revision
① Since the benefits of preferential examination were easily provided, without any specific limitations, the intent of the preferential examination system was lost.
② When preferential examination was requested without previously reviewing the patentability of an invention, the effectiveness of the preferential examination system was impeded since the chance of granting the invention as a patent was low.
③ When preferential examination was requested in a major foreign country (for example, the US or Japan among the others), the preferential examination system was operated by submitting its own prior art search report.
Contents of revision
- When preferential examination is requested, it is required that a prior art search result(s) shall be submitted.
※The prior art search result(s) shall be submitted in all cases that preferential examination is requested, except for the case of the Patent Prosecution Highway (PPH) and the case that an external special agency is entrusted with a prior art search.
- Where an inventor carries out (or prepares) an invention, the requirements for requesting preferential examination of the invention shall be clarified.
- The regulations to judge/consider the relation between an invention filed in an application and a category of business of a certified company, such as a venture company, are revised.
※For detailed information of the method of preparing a preferential examination request, please refer to Form No. 5 of the revision as notified and the descriptive manner thereof.
Preparation of the standards to operate preferential examination of a patent application related to green technology (effective from October 1, 2009)
- A patent application related to green technology which is financially supported or certified is added as an application to be preferentially examined.
- To request preferential examination, documentary evidence and a description for a preferential examination request shall be specifically made up.
4. Patent technological tendency of OLED as the ultimate display material
In the LED (light-emitting diode) TV which has popularity as a revolution of light, the LED TV in which an LED is a light source itself cannot illuminate light. Moreover, reducing the thickness of a display has a limitation due to the volume occupied by the light source.
However, an AMOLED (active-matrix organic light-emitting diode) which itself illuminates light provides the impression of natural colors, wide viewing angles and low consumption power has a response speed faster by 1000 times or more, compared to LCD. Furthermore, AMOLED is capable of realizing a clear and fast moving picture, without any afterimages. Therefore, AMOLED is expected to be the ‘ultimate display’.
AMOLED is the next-generation display to replace LCD in TVs, mobile phones, PMPs and navigations, among others. AMOLED has the boundless market as a flexible display to be folded or rolled to be carried. Furthermore, since it is possible to make AMOLED in a wallpaper form, the AMOLED light market is also expanded.
According to the patent analysis results, among a total of 871 applications laid-open in Korea until 2000, only 48 applications were related to the field of AMOLED low molecular organic materials. However, the number of the applications in this field rapidly increased to 823 from 2001 to 2008. Among 823 applications, 452 (52%) were filed by the Korean applicants. This is considered as reflecting the results of continuous research and development by the relevant Korean companies.
The major companies filing the applications in this field are as follows: Idemitsu Kosan Co., a Japanese company, took the lead with 146 applications (23.5%), followed by Samsung Mobile Display (SMD), a Korean company, with 121 (19.5%), LG Electronics with 86 (13.8%), LG Chem Ltd. With 67 (10.8%), and NeoView KOLON with 46 (7.4%). Specially, the leading company, Idemitsu Kosan Co., has the rights in a wide range, covering aromatic amine compounds (54 patents), fused aromatic cyclic compounds (30 patents) and combination patents of these (33 patents), thereby constructing a more careful patent portfolio.